Sunday, March 23, 2008
Easter Dinner
Wow! I'm featuring cuisine photos again. The food is just part of the story though. Today I had the privilege of meeting, talking, and serving dinner to some remarkably brave parents. These people are going through some really tough times. What a blessing it was when 3 lb. 2 oz Issiah's 17 year old mama asked me to admire the pictures she'd taken of him today. I listened to a Shiprock mom who is struggling to balance her time between her busy 2 year old and a new daughter who weights 1 lb. 3 oz and is fighting for her life. I made up a to-go plate for a gentle father whose 2 year old, Isabelle, is recovering from yet another major reconstructive surgery to repair significant birth defects. I laughed with a happy little 7 year old girl, Jalisa, who explained to me that she couldn't eat the strawberries because of contraindications to her chemotherapy. She's got another 3 weeks as an outpatient. She and her family live near the 4 corners. I prayed with a very exhausted couple whose little Alice was born just 3 days ago at 29 weeks gestation. She's 2 lbs 6 oz. And I served another couple whose 4 year old son is being treated for a particularly nasty pneumonia. They have a 5 week old son with them at the RMH.
These are just some of the parents who are currently guests at the Ronald McDonald House (RMH) which hosts families whose children are receiving treatment at the University Hospital. These families live 100 or more miles away and thus can't make the trips between hospital and home. There is no cost to the guest families and the RMH strives to provide a friendly and safe environment. Everyone gets a hotel-like room of their own but it's the common areas that make it so special. There is a huge fully equipped kitchen with 3 stoves/ovens, 5 refrigerators and freezers plus pantries full of food. There is a computer room, playrooms with lots of toys, videos and games galore. There are patios, an outdoor playground, and a large dining area. The house is consistently full now with about 30 guests. An addition is under construction which will double the occupancy.
Several of my friends from Bible study helped by bringing food to share. I made the hams and the desserts. I had to take pictures of the bacon-laden dishes for all you bacon fans, especially Aaron. Jan made those yummy bacon wrapped green beans, and Michelle made the new potatoes garnished with bacon. Not photographed were Kari's classic jello mold and salad that thankfully did not contain pork.
My interest in RMH was born from the two weeks I was a guest of RMH. It was in frigidly cold Ohio where Cara underwent neurological testing at the Cleveland Clinic in January 1993. The staff and volunteers there made a difficult situation a lot easier for me. I'm so grateful that I am able now to help and encourage other families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The food looked lovely mama. I am so happy that you have found enjoyable ways to give back and share your love and gifts with others. I love and admire you!
Wow, what a wonderful way to spend the day and share love. Such heartbreaking stories too.
Post a Comment