Saturday, June 21, 2008

Girls' Road Trip



The girls and I just returned safely from our 2000 mile road trip. We had a very fun time. First stop in Mesa, Arizona where we visited with Jen and Dan and their cute kids. We found out later that we picked up a "hitchhiker" there in the blazing hot desert and took him to breezy Carlsbad, Califonia. The gigantic centipede hitched his ride in Stephanie's tote. He caused quite a shrill scream from the girls as he emerged from the bag in the guest room at Aaron's house. Steph captured him in her wide bristled brush and let him go outside in the green grass and shrubs.

We visited Coronado Island and explored it's beautiful white sand beach where we collected lots of sand dollars. We weren't even sure what a sand dollar was until we googled it at home. I have never in my life found a sand dollar except in a gift shop so we were excited about our finds.

We spent a few hours another day on Carlsbad beach and watched the surfers there and soaked up more sun. Aaron and I went to the U-Pick strawberry fields where we happily picked ripe, juicy, huge berries which we enjoyed in our cereal each morning.

Aaron and Nancy took us to Wild Animal Park in Escondito, where the temperature was closing in on 100. It was a very interesting safari park, though. Maybe even more interesting than the San Diego Zoo. Most impressive were the huge condors.

Aaron is a banshee in the kitchen wielding a mean knife and some impressive pots and pans. We ate some fine food cooked up in the Gamiz kitchen: hot shrimp stuffed poppers, salmon and shrimp civiche, blackened salmon, spagetti squash lasagna, hot pintos, and mashed sweet potatoes, (not yams).

On a whim, I decided to head north and stop at the Grand Canyon on the way home. Awesome, amazing, beautiful. We ended up hiking a good 4 miles along the rim because we missed our path back to the car. One cannot visit the Canyon and come away with anything but acknowledgment of our Creator's infinite power and might. We are so small in this universe.

Our trip ended up just short of 2000 miles. And I thank God and his awesome angels for keeping us safe on the road.

4 comments:

gamizone said...

I'm glad you had a good time, and was able to relax for a bit......

I just wish the girls were a little more enthusiastic about the whole thing..........
Remember, there is TV anywhere you go. California is not in Bourque.

Anyways glad you made it home safe, and because the golden family will be living here soon, perhaps we'll get back together here soon...

Love Aaron and Nancy

Jen said...

Where on earth did you pick up a centipede in Stephanie's bag?! I've never seen such a creature near our house...??

It was great seeing you all.

Danielle said...

Sounds like fun! I have to say that I don't know what is up with your posing for pictures, Mom. And what's with your foot pic?

Otherwise a nice collection.

Danielle said...

Glad it was good family fun. I used to pick up dozens of sand dollars on the Pacific coast (much further north, of course) when I was a kid. It's funny you've never seen them out there. Perhaps they like the Oregon and Washington beaches best. Those Coronado pix make us excited about our potential new home. Thanks for sharing!